Bootstrap

I can't remember when I've had as much fun. Normally, I don't look back at times I've spent in hospital waiting rooms as being anything I'd want to remember, but I have to say we had a good time. At least I did. It's probably because this is the first time in a long time that I've been in a hospital and the occasion was a happy one. No one was having a hip replaced or facing life or death. We were there to welcome little Turner into the world, and what better way to introduce him to our wacky family than by acting wacky ourselves?
Joanna was scheduled to be induced on Monday, the MLK holiday, but I guess Turner was ready to come out sooner. Granny and I hung out at the hospital while mom, Joan, Ali, and Abby went over to Joanna's to do some cleaning. When they got back, we all went to dinner (sans Joyce) at Toucan Cafe. At dinner, Abby and I wanted the dessert which looked pretty cool as it actually had three separate desserts on one plate-- all for seven dollars. But, we had to settle for Krispy Kreme. And I was reminded of a certain night several years ago when Amy and Ginger and I went searching for Krystals and Krispy Kreme doughnuts at the wee hours of the morning.
At the hospital, we shared the waiting room with a lovely family who had three of the best behaved children I've ever seen. And one of them was only one year old. Erich's dad offered them doughnuts and I thought the sugar would send them through the roof, but they were cool. We made friends with the three year old. Her name is Tasha. More to follow on that.
Throughout the evening, we entertained ourselves as only our family can. And telling this story, I think only people in my family will actually find it funny. Joan tried to give me a make-over using some of Ali's cosmetics. There's this one lip color called Spice Sachet-- just try saying it three times fast and you'll see how funny it sounds, especially at midnight and after a couple of doughnuts. I think I might name my first child Spice Sachet.
After all this frivolity, Tasha's family kept trickling out until only the kids were left. Well, at two in the morning, they'd gotten their second wind and were jumping and climbing all over the place. The rest of us slowly trickled out of the room, too, but I think it had more to do with the Krystals they'd been eating. Krystals may be great when you're eating them fresh, but after a few hours in the trash, they smelled rotten. Finally, Tasha's grandfather came back and settled the kids down and got the two boys to sleep, but Tasha wouldn't. So, she came out into the outer waiting room and climbed in the seat between Ali and Abby. A three year old black girl surrounded by strange white people and she felt right at home. Around four, Erich came out and told us we could go see Turner and so Tasha had to go back to her grandfather. But we had made a friend. I hope I can get the picture from Abby and post it for you all.
Turner, I have to say, is very handsome. He does have a bit of a conehead-- but it's not pointy like on Saturday Night Live-- and he has a big suction-cup ring on his head from when the doctor was trying to get him out. At 8 lbs. 10 ozs., I'm surprised he even came out of Joanna. He's way too big to come from such tiny parents. But he's so pretty. I'd be proud of him regardless of how he looked, but he's certainly a handsome boy. The more I look at him, the more I see Joanna. Of course, that's bound to change and the fun part is getting to watch him grow and see who he most favors. Both Joanna and Erich are doing fine. Turner, who is being treated to prevent jaundice, looks like those little glow-worm toys we used to have as kids. As if anything else could make him look cuter, he now emits a soft, blue glow.
Sadly, I have to work so much during the week that I won't get to see him again until the weekend. But I'll be sure to post pictures whenever I can. For those of you out of town, I hope to see you all soon and can't wait until the next holiday when we can all get together.

2 Comments:
Now you'll have Little Bootsie stories to tell me. I know you get bored with my Jared and Stevie stories, but now you'll see that even the littlest thing they do is so funny and must be told. Welcome to nephewhood! It's the best. (Of course, I have no nieces, so that might be even better, but I wouldn't know.)
I love hearing your stories about Stevie and Jared, especially Jared. The antics between you two make for good entertainment. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home