Freudian Slips
The other day, I jokingly accused Kirsten of committing a Freudian slip when she said she was glad to have Mark as her "bother-in-law". Of course, it was just a typo. I know Kirsten is happy for her sister and her soon to be brother.
However, I don't think I'll let John Kerry off the hook. He claims to have messed up a joke about President Bush and the war in Iraq. Here's what he was supposed to have said:
"Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."
Instead, he messed up and this is what the audience heard:
"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
The original intention isn't even funny to me-- political arenas are not the place to make jokes, especially jokes about the current administration. I find it in poor taste to make fun of anybody's intellectual capacity. If he disagrees with Bush's policies, fine. But don't make fun of the man. Leave that to the writers of SNL. As much as I like Bush, I do get a kick out of his pronunciation of nuclear.
You know, I shudder to think what our country would be like if Kerry had won the election. There are several things about Bush that I might disagree with regarding his policies, but on the whole, he's a good man and he means well. I never really disliked Kerry, but now I'm beginning to think that this joke of his, whether a Freudian slip or not, makes him a bit of a jerk.

5 Comments:
I concur.
You know I generally don't really give a fig about politics, but this comment really ticked me off.
Yes, I can conceed that it was more than likely a botched joke. AFter all, Kerry did serve in the military, but we will never be able to prove that. Maybe that really is how he feels.
On the chance that the statement shows his true feelings about our heroic men and women who serve our country, I think he's a turd.
My dad was military, my cousin's husband is military and I know they're highly intelligent men. I've known so many military men and women--growing up in military town--that I know Kerry is dead wrong. Not to mention that just about every military person is either taking college classes or has already obtained their degree.
John Kerry is a turd.
Oh yeah--my mom was military and she was a brilliant woman.
He pisses me off!
I am pretty sure it was just a mistake. That is the danger we all take when we attempt to be funny.
Let me lighten things up a bit with a lil' jingle. "I'm a Texas Tiiiiger, you're a Liberal We he eener. This land was surely meant for me. Heeyaw!"
I really do think it was just a stupid comment, and would not have been funny even said the "right" way. I think the Elephants are riding it a lil too hard.
I think both sides are playing too dirty these days. The negative campaign ads are driving me crazy. Furthermore, it's enough to make those who are less inclined to vote not want to vote at all. And our country certainly doesn't need fewer voters.
Post a Comment
<< Home