What is the most romantic song?
Lately, I've been feeling very nostalgic for my childhood. The other day, when I was watching Sixteen Candles, I suddenly began to crave the music of the time and so I looked for songs that I remembered and liked the most, mainly British pop and new wave music.
One of my favorite songs from this time is "True" by Spandau Ballet. I was listening to it a minute ago and I thought to myself that this has to be the most romantic song ever. I always associate intense feelings of emotion when I hear it. I know there are songs generally considered more romantic, especially those from different musical eras, but this one will always be the most romantic for me. Maybe it's the intensity of the singer's voice (sorry-- I don't know his name) or the lyrics-- either way, I always feel like a fourteen year old who's got a crush on the cute guy in school. It always manages to remind me of love, and usually unrequited love.
I want to know what song you most associate with love and romance and why that is.

11 Comments:
My favorite love song would have to be Meat Loaf's "For Crying Out Loud." The lyrics are beautiful and his voice sounds so passionate. Ah.
I must say, I don't know that one. You'll need to bring the cd and I promise I'll like it.
I have spent a few hours contemplating this one, and I am sure that I will amend my comment with more songs, but I really love:
"So In Love" by Cole Porter
"I'll Stand by You" by The Pretenders
"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel
"Elsewhere" by Sarah McLachlan
"Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney
I can't say these are the greatest love songs, but I associate them with certain time periods. As I was painfully slow on making my moves, these songs held significance only to me.
You're the Inspiration - Chicago
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday, I'll Make Love to You, and Water Runs Dry - Boyz II Men
Red Light Special - TLC
Take My Breath Away - Berlin
These were just a few.
I remember going to Wal-Mart to buy the Whitney Houston single. Josh Runyon and I bought several girls valentine's day gifts in hopes of some sort of gratitude (preferably in the way of a kiss) would be shown toward us.
TLC, for the lovely "sisters" I had crushes on.
I could make another list out of the Country song phase I went through.
I'm with you on the Paul McCartney--anything he sings is beautiful. I was mulling over my own question and I came up with two more:
"Love Balled" by L.T.D. (Jeffery Osborne could sing the phone book and I'd melt)
"Is This Love" by ??? (I can't remember who sings it, but it's good)
It's Whitesnake! I knew it was some crazy, 80s hair band. And I'm with you on the Chicago songs. "Hard Habit to Break" is my favorite romantic song of theirs. Kirsten and I feel that Chicago should only be listened to when one is a) without a boyfriend/girlfriend or is b) about to break up with one.
Ooh! I forgot about George Straight. I love that one, and I'm not even a country fan.
Real Straight fans have seen the movie Pure Country. I know I have. How about you? Booyah!
Ooh, I have too! I am so hick.
"Faithfully" by Journey
"Separate Lives" - Phil Collins
"In Your Eyes" - PG
"Your Song" - Elton John
"Maybe I'm Amazed" Paul (who does not beat his one-legged wife)
I always thought it was Baby I'm Amazed. I have once again just heard what I wanted.
Post a Comment
<< Home