Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Waste Not, Want Not

I have recently become my grandmother. Today at lunch, I opened the freezer in the breakroom and found that half the contents were mine from lunches I could never finish and that I didn't have the heart to throw away. I used to wonder why my grandmother saved everything. If there were only a few peas left in the bowl, she'd find a teeny Tupperware container for them to go in. Her refrigerator is chock full of little bits of leftover food or drinks no one could finish. That was one of her pet peeves with us as children. She'd get onto us for filling a glass with more than we could drink; we were never to waste anything. I suppose growing up as one of eleven children teaches you to cherish what you have and not waste a bit of it. If the family was lucky enough to have fried chicken for Sunday dinner, the children were lucky if they got a neck or the back, especially if the preacher came over.

My co-workers may laugh, and to admit, it is pretty funny. But I'll keep saving all the food that I can't eat even if I will never eat it again. I don't mind being like Granny Mavis at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

You could collect all your leftovers and put them in a nice casserole. JJ Surprise.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

The refrigerator at my parents house use to have about a million soda cans with just a little bit more soda in them. Of course, they were eventually thrown away.

JJ, I want to encourage you to not save your leftovers tomorrow. No woman/man can see the future, so preparing for the future (keeping left-overs for later) is a sin. Take that.

7:57 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Nevertheless, Jon, I ate my two leftover chicken fingers from dinner the night before. And they were good. A little chewy, but good.

I do think I'll throw out the apple if I haven't eaten it by tomorrow. I mean, it's all brown and everything. Eew.

8:15 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

My house is like Jon's: I open the door to the fridge and the kids have at least ten cans with just enough soda in them to fill one can. It drives me nuts!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home