Starbucks
Today's posts are probably going to be the most random one I've done so far especially since I haven't posted in a while. With classes over, I thought I'd have more time, but I guess I was burnt out and didn't feel like writing a whole lot-- that would require me to think.
But I feel compelled to write about a topic Jon has brought up recently about the quality of service at Starbucks. Today, I went in to order a coffee and all I had was $50-- a rare occasion in itself-- and I asked the cashier if that was ok. She said that, unfortunately, she didn't have enough change for a fifty, so I said no problem, I'll just pay with my card. She said that I didn't have to, that it would be on the house. I was shocked. Most places aren't so generous, but I guess Starbucks can afford to be. We went back and forth-- I felt too embarrassed taking a free coffee, especially since I could afford to pay for it. Eventually she said that it wasn't my fault they didn't have enough change, but I countered with the idea that I could pay for it with alternate means and I won out in the end. But I was very grateful for the offer and thought to myself that there are still nice people who will do something for others. The girls at Cafe Ambrosia are like that, too. They'll let you have a coffee for free, especially if you're a repeat customer, and will trust that you'll come back and pay for it.
But not all people who go to Starbucks are nice. On Saturday, I stopped in to the one at Twelve Oaks to get a coffee and there were a lot of people (as it was a Saturday). While I waited patiently, I was approached by a nice lady who worked for the Ronald McDonald House and who offered me a newsletter about their services. They were selling calendars for $10 and I didn't really want to get one but I was contemplating giving a donation. While I was waiting, a man came in behind me and when asked if he wanted to purchase a calendar, he said no but that he would like to give a donation. I don't know how much he gave them, but they were very appreciative. However, there was another lady sitting across the way who, when she saw the man give the donation, accosted him and asked him why he would give his money to that cause "considering all the damage they do to society." I'm sorry, but I've only ever heard good things about the Ronald McDonald House-- what she was really angry about was the McDonald corporation and the fast food industry in general. She was being very loud, too, and the women who were volunteering could hear every word. I felt so bad for them, but they acted very graciously despite the ugly things the other lady was saying. The entire store could hear every word and I felt guilty that I didn't say something and stand up to this woman. We're all entitled to have our opinion and choose where and to whom we give our money, but she was out of line lecturing this man who was being generous and offering some kind of assistance to what most feel is a worthy cause.
Except for that one, unpleasant lady, my experiences at Starbucks have been very nice. So much so that I look forward to going in there-- if not for the good coffee at least for the pleasant service. If only everybody were as nice as them, the world would be a better place.

2 Comments:
That lady makes me angry. I have been close with Ronald for almost my entire life. I even attempted to risk my life crossing the road for his meals of happiness when I was less than 7. I would counter her argument with my favorite quote of gun supporters, "Guns don't kill people, I do." So, "McDonald's doesn't make me a lard butt, I do." It was none of her never mind, and she should have kept her tofu hole shut. It's friggin Christmas, so let the man give a little.
She was probably a lunatic. Seriously, who bashes the Ronald McDonald House? Crazy people. That's who.
Post a Comment
<< Home