Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Somebody get this kid some pants!"

Yesterday, as I was leaving work, I saw this little boy running down the street at the corner of Broughton and Lincoln. He was a cute little kid with a Prince Valiant haircut and a hooded sweater. And he had no pants on. He was completely naked and I could tell he relished his nudity. He was also carrying a bucket of chalk. He stopped at the curb and began to draw on the sidewalk. I thought perhaps his parents had just changed his diaper and that he had escaped, as most children like to do when they're finally free of their underpants. It made me laugh at first.

Then I realized they were standing on the other end of the street watching him. The partial nudity and the chalk no longer made me laugh as much as it made me worry about his parents and their concern. They seem rather indifferent to the fact that their kid was running down the street-- forget that at any moment he could run out into traffic or, even worse, be snatched by a passerby. Maybe I'm too overprotective, but I worry when a kid runs around in public naked. Sure, let babies run around naked inside a house or backyard. It's kind of cute when they do stuff like that. But on a crowded street where it only takes a second, when not looking, for someone to kidnap a child? It's too frightening for me.

I wanted to laugh at the little boy with no pants on, but I was sad that his parents weren't watching him very closely. I wondered if I should have said something and now I regret that I didn't, but what could I have said? "Somebody get this kid some pants!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

I really wish I could have seen this. I like to think I would have died laughing, but I think I would have been appalled like you were.

The other day this lady in an old, crappy car dropped her baby out of the car onto the drive way. I was shocked. She didn't seem as worried as me though; she hefted the baby up like a sack of potatos and went on her merry way. I was so shocked by what I just saw that I was speechless for a few seconds afterwards.

What are some parents thinking? I know so many wonderful parents. But the crappy ones tick me off. If they don't want to take care of their kids, they should just give them to me.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Did I mention she dropped the baby head first?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Nothing better than running pantless w/ a bucket of chalk.

Maybe it was a Dateline exclusive.

Jon

7:13 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

I bet they were European. Have you ever noticed that at Disneyworld in the summer, there are hundreds of nude European children walking around?

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home