Hello: My Name Is ___________
Last night, as I was making my way to class, I began to think about my situation as a teacher. When I first introduced myself to the class, I told them to call me Ms. Johnson. The name Professor Johnson just didn't seem natural and I wasn't even sure if I qualified for that title. When I walked by the room that had been our classroom on the first night, I saw a sign proclaiming that Professor Johnson's class had been moved to room 107. I thought, "Perhaps now it will hit me! I really am a professor!" Alas, I still don't feel that way.
And as I was walking out to my car after a long, yet productive class, I realized that the title didn't matter. I had been worried that I would be too hung up on what people called me, but now I see that I just don't care. While I initially took this job to earn extra money, the reward I get from teaching is what keeps me coming back. There are other jobs out there-- though not many-- where I could make a decent living and not have to take on a second job.
But I love what I do. There isn't a day that goes by when I ever complain about going to work. There are those times, mind you, when I want a little extra sleep in the morning and would perhaps defer going into work if I could, but overall, I love my job and my co-workers. I am truly blessed and perhaps that's why I'm not so hung up on the idea of being a professor. Besides, it's hard enough just to get used to being called Ms. Johnson.

2 Comments:
Professor Johnson. Sounds good to me. Professor Johnson. Yep, that is about right.
I think Professor Johnson sounds very nice! You are a natural teacher and I am glad your class is going well. I am so jealous of your job - helping students and laughing with coworkers all day - it has the best of both worlds.
Post a Comment
<< Home