Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Friday, August 11, 2006

America: What a Bunch of Wusses

I'm supposed to be working on my syllabus for class Wednesday night, but like all times when I'm anxious, I put off the work until the last minute. So, I thought I'd post my musings on the recent terror plot that was thwarted (don't you just love that word) by British Intelligence (or MI5, another cool name) yesterday. I've been watching the proceedings on CNN-- the long lines, how people have had to discard certain toiletries, how passengers in London weren't allowed carry-on bags, etc. I do realize how frustrating this has all been, and from most of the reports I've seen, people have been good sports about it all, most of them grateful that the terror plot was stopped before anything happened.

But something caught my attention that related the bigger problem in all this. Sure, terrorism is a problem and the means to detect it are becoming increasingly daunting, but it's certain people's attitudes that are most frustrating. Take this one family for example. If you watch CNN, you might have seen her and her two boys. They're flying home to America from London and were dismayed that they could not take any carry-on luggage with them, only their wallet and passport. These are reasonable frustrations and most people just deal with them and move on. But this lady felt compelled to rail against the injustice of not being able to take video equipment or i-Pods onto the plane. "What will my boys do for five hours in the air?" she asked the reporter. Oh, I don't know . . . perhaps talk to one another? Read a book? I mean, here is a major terror plot uncovered-- one, so I hear, that would rival 9/11 in its severity and loss of lives-- wouldn't it be a good time to talk with your kids about the situation in the world? Or use the time to bond with them? I love electronics, games, and music, but there are too many kids for whom these activities serve as a substitute for social interaction. They don't know how to talk like a human being because they're never forced to interact with other human beings.

No wonder these terrorists hate us. I probably would too if I saw a bunch of overfed, spoiled people who think that standing in line a while longer is a major inconvenience worthy of investigation by Amnesty International. What about all the unfortunate people in the world who have to deal with bombs going off in the night, or massive floods, or tsunamis, or lack of water and food? Those people truly have it bad. I don't think we, as Americans, have any right to bemoan the slight inconvenience of extra waiting time in an airport or the inability to take a video game on board a flight. But that's just my opinion . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

I liked the example you told me about the woman who was ticked because she had to throw away her $80 bottle of makeup. Absurd. No wonder people hate us. We buy one piece of makeup alone that costs that much!

I myself a self-proclaimed weenie. I like nice things and I like to be comfortrable; however, I do realize these are blessings and not everyone has the same opportunities and lifestyle that I am lucky enough to have.

11:36 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

Here! Here! to both of your comments! We are truly a blessed and spoiled people. You inspired me to forget about my problems with the class and just be thankful I have a job that does not require me to work too hard.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I saw a picture that showed a pile of the products that had to be discarded by passengers, and in the middle of the pile was a full bottle of mayonnaise. Why was someone trying to take mayo on the plane? I keep thinking about it, and I just can't seem to figure it out. They didn't discard anything that went with it. I don't know; it is just odd.

3:48 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

I don't know Alica . . . coming from someone who's taught high school, I think it does require a lot of work, both mentally and physically. My kids could never grasp the concept that the textbooks were supposed to go back under the desk. I spent most of the day putting books back where they belong or sweeping up dirt and paper trash off the floor. It's hard work being a teacher-- I wish you all the best!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home