Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Monday, August 28, 2006

Simple Pleasures

Last night, as I was going through some old books, I found one of my favorite books from middle school. About a teenage boy who's forced to go to summer camp, I Want to Go Home! was, and still is, one of the funniest young adult books I've ever read. I've always had an appreciation for subtle, dry humor. Not only that, but the book is incredibly well-written, considering the author, Gordon Korman, wrote it while still in high school. I've read this book so much, the front cover is torn off and the pages are all spotted with yellow. All my favorite books end up this way-- the more battered it is, the more I like it.

My other, all-time favorite young adult book is The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. Clever and witty with a compelling mystery. It makes me want to go to the library, check out all my favorite books from my childhood and spend the day reading. Just think about it . . . a rainy day, wearing flannel pajamas, snuggled all warm in blankets with some hot chocolate and marshmallows . . . it doesn't get better than that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

My favorite book when I was a little girl was King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry. It was about an Arabian horse and I checked it out of the library every time our class went. I LOVED that book!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Kasey said...

This morning I was just thinking how wonderful it would be to never leave my house and stay in my pajamas forever. Eventually people would think that I was an eccentric nut, but then they would leave me alone and I could have a very comfy wardrobe. I would love that.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kasey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kasey said...

I posted my comment twice. Oops!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Rich people are eccentric. Ordinary or poor people are just crazy. Kirsten constantly reminds me that I would fall into the just crazy category.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home