Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hezbollah: Terrorists or Friendly Insurgents?

Recently, I had a debate with a coworker about the current crisis in Lebanon and Israel. My take on the situation, on which people are welcome to comment, is that the group Hezbollah deliberately attacked Israel and kidnapped their soldiers in order to engage Israel in a full-out fight for the holy land. I suggested that the Lebanese government had allowed this, what I called terrorist group, to infiltrate its ranks and was running the show in a manner contrary to what the Lebanese people would want. I suspect that the Lebanese and Israeli peoples do not want to fight but feel like they've been pushed into an unavoidable war with each other. This is my opinion and is open to debate, but what angered me about the discussion I had with this person was the fact that he would not let me call Hezbollah a terrorist group. Part of me wondered why-- was he just being snarky and trying to get me going on a topic that is of personal interest to me, or does he really believe they aren't terrorists? And then I began to wonder what they are considered. I have a masters' degree in criminal justice and have studied international law with Dr. Daughtery, a former CIA employee and a captive of the Iran hostage crisis in 1979. He spent 444 days in captivity and talks about his experience with terrorism and Middle East politics with a conviction that few could doubt. I believe him when he says that these groups hide behind their religion and are only interested in seeking power. I know there are millions of devout Muslims in the world and I have no problem believing they truly understand their religion and have love for each other. I do not believe that some of the terrorist organizations are truly performing the will of God because how could God want that for His people? My question, originally, is whether Hezbollah is a terrorist group or not. The conversation I had with this person bothered me because I thought I was right about something but now I'm beginning to wonder what's really bothering me. And I can't find an answer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

I like the new look. Vaguely familiar....

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

It seems like everyone is a terrorist anymore. If you are not a nation, what is ya? A digruntled mob? No. I think these folks are terrorist. I think many argue the validity of the attacks, or what their rights are. Regardless of motive, their actions are the actions of terrorists. I would consider the Ku Klux Klan and Abortion Clinic Bombers terrorists. I wonder how many dispute with me on this? Good Topic.

10:37 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

I do not think you are wrong at all to believe that Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. I think it is wrong to say that there is a moral equivalency between them and Israel. However, I do think that they believe, Hezbollah that is, that what they are doing is right. They are acting acting to their interpretation of the scripture. Which is why there will never be peace in the Middle East. Depressing I know. I do not think that Israel is completely innocent either. I read an article by the Cato Institute called The Folly of US in the Middle East, or something like that, which gives a great history of Israel and their neighbors. I will try to find a link and send it to you - it is very interesting.

Jon - I do think that the KKK and abortion clinic bombers are terrorists. If you substitue their actions with Muslims against Americans, I think they are similar.

6:33 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

I agree, Alicia, I don't think Israel is ever totally blameless, especially considering recent events between them and Palestinians. I've always believed Palestine should have control of their own government and I'm always bothered by the continued violence between them and Israel. You're right, though-- I don't think there will ever be a peaceful resolution to any of the problems in the middle east.

8:41 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

OK JJ, here is the article I read in my sociology class. I took it in Brunswick and had a pretty conservative professor, and the Cato Institute is conservative also. The article was written in 1991, and I am sure it will make for fun reading!

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=1019%3C/p%3E

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home