Shiny Objects and Other Random Musings

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

If you have not already heard about it, you should check out the recent article in USA Today about a woman who claims she is the direct descendant of a union between Mary Magdalene and Jesus Christ. It blows my mind that this woman can honestly believe she descends from Our Lord and Savior, but what’s more mind-blowing is that there are others out there who believe her, too. She claims she has incontrovertible proof, but alas, she is not willing to share it with the world because she is afraid of the consequences to her family. I’m afraid that boat sailed when she made her assertion in the first place, but far be it from me to say otherwise. I just can’t believe that a publisher is willing to put this “semi-autobiographical” novel out there and then have the audacity to claim that they’re not riding on the coattails of The Da Vinci Code. Of course they are! Who in their right mind would ever believe a soccer mom from California is the birthright of Jesus? Nothing against soccer moms, but c’mon. Check out the link below and see for yourself. There’s also a link there to an excerpt from her book. Apparently, she, like so many others before her, had a powerful experience when visiting the holy land. But, unlike so many before her, she came back with the keys to heaven. I guess you do have to see it to believe it.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2006-07-17-magdalene-book_x.htm

4 Comments:

Blogger Kasey said...

Hi Jennifer!

Kirsten told me about this, and because my mother's maiden name is McGowan, I am related to Jesus. Let me know if you would like my autograph.

5:58 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

The first clue that she is not Jesus's child is that god-awful shirt she is wearing! And that lipstick! A direct descendentof Christ would know better. She looks like an orange creamsicle.

9:45 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Yes, the very image of her is downright tacky. I found this interesting tidbit on another blog: "Isn't this the same Kathleen McGowan who used to try to pass herself off as the high priestess of an hereditary coven of Irish witches? And a covert IRA operative? Maybe she couldn't get Simon & Schuster to give her a book deal on those plotlines. And to think I knew her when she was blonde - nice dye job! Did she dye her kids hair too?" Very interesting. . .

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

You wondered about who would publish such garbage? I imagine their will always be someone willing to publish stories like hers. It is just a sad fact that we humans like a steady diet of crap fed into our lives.

For real though, I am related to Taylor Hicks.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home